Fruit That Starts With N – there are so many different types of fruit that you eat everyday and most of these are easy to name.
But what about the more unusual fruits? Fruits that you have heard of but not tried? Or fruits that come from a different part of the world that you haven’t even heard of?
We’ve put a great list together for you, along with a description of the fruit and a photo where we can source one. Have a look at our list of different fruits that start with the letter N!
Fruit That Starts With N
- Nectarines originate from China, and were developed by a natural mutation in a peach causing the skin to be much more smooth. Nectarine trees can live for up to 40 years and can reach 30 feet in height, with the fruit holding a very sweet and aromatic flavour.
- Nashi pear has a very similar appearance to regular pears but with a much rounder shape – resembling an apple. They have a sweet and creamy, white flesh and are harvested when ripe, first originating in Asia 3000 years ago.
- Natal plums are native to South Africa, but can be found growing in northern areas like Florida and California as well. They first appear in summer, with a bright red outer skin and have a sweet and sour flavour when ripe.
- Nance fruit is most commonly available during the late summer, and have a subtle sweetness when fully ripe. They originate from Central and South America and can be eaten either raw or cooked – usually used as a sweet ingredient.
- Naartjie is a South African citrus fruit which is small and round, resembling a tangerine or mandarin. They have a sweet and tart flavour, similar to an orange or mandarin and are full of vitamins, and high levels of magnesium and potassium.
- Naranjilla fruit – also known as lulo – resembles that of an orange on the outside but the inside is a mixture of light green/dark yellow colour. It is native to western parts of South America and has a flavour which is often described as a mix of lime and rhubarb.
- Navel oranges originate from Brazil where a mutation occurred in a sweet orange. They are filled with Vitamin C, fibre and potassium which may help to protect against some illnesses including cancer and heart disease, so are one of the healthiest fruits.
- Nonda plum (sometimes known as Parinari Nonda) is a small tree on which edible fruit grows – which are generally harvested in the wild. They usually grow in Northern Australia and New Guinea and have a rough outer surface.
- These small fruits are available from late winter through spring and originate from China around the 12th century. When ripe they have a sweet flavour and an acidic flesh – unusually the entire fruit is edible including the flesh and seeds.
Northern spy apple
- This fruit originated from a single orchard in the early 1800s and appear like most apples with a red skin and yellow or pale green streaks. They can be served many ways including raw or baked and have a somewhat tart flavour.
Find our other posts on Fruit that Starts With
For official definitions of the fruit you can also look at the Oxford English Dictionary.
Fruit that Starts with P
Fruit that Starts with Q
Fruit that Starts with R