Fruit That Starts With D – there are so many different types of fruit that you eat everyday and most of these are easy to name. But what about the more unusual fruits? Fruits that you have heard of but not tried? Or fruits that come from a different part of the world that you haven’t even heard of? We’ve put a great list together for you, along with a description of the fruit and a photo where we can source one. Have a look at our list of different fruits that start with the letter D!
Fruit That Starts With D
- The Damson fruit was first harvested in the city of Damascus which is the capital of Syria. It was then brought over to Britain by the Romans. Damson fruits are small and plum like with a distinctive, astringent taste, and are used for culinary purposes, particularly in jams. Damsons are high in vitamin C and fibre.
- The origin of date fruits are uncertain because of long cultivation. According to some sources it probably originated from the Fertile Crescent region of Egypt and Mesopotamia. Dates grow on palm trees, they are a yellow and green colour when they aren’t ripe but will turn a deep orange or brown when ready to harvest. They are high in fibre and they are a good source of potassium, magnesium, and iron.
- The Dekopon fruit was first cultivated in Japan. It is a hybrid fruit that was developed in 1972. It is a hybrid between the Kiyomi and ponkan. The Dekopons are cultivated in large greenhouses, and harvested from December to February. Dekopons are low in calories, and contain some potassium, dietary fiber, sugars, protein, and Vitamin A. The Dekopon looks very similar to a normal orange.
- Desert Figs are native to the middle east, specifically Afghanistan, they were then brought to Portugal where they cope well with the relatively poor soil. Desert figs can now be found in many places in the Mediterranean and Northern and Central parts of Australia. They are high in vitamin A, carbohydrates and Pyridoxine.
- The Dragon fruit is native to the Americas, but has also been cultivated in South Asia for a long time. They are a pink and red colour on the outside but on the inside it is a pure white with some black seeds aswell. It has a similar texture to a kiwi. Fragon fruits are high in vitamin C and vitamin E, it is also high in magnesium and iron.
- The Duku fruit is native to Southeast Asia and it is widely cultivated in the southern Peninsular of Malaysia. It belongs to the Meliaceae family. The Duku is a green and sometimes brown colour with a white flesh. A duku fruit tree grows as tall as 30 meters in height and 75 centimeter in width. It is high in carbohydrates, protein and calcium.
- The Durian is also native to southeastern Asia. The durian tree can reach huge heights of up to 90 to 130 ft (27-40 m). Certain parts of the world where the fruit is popular, have banned it from public transportation due to the smell being able to ”make a whole bus gag.” However they are healthy and are high in vitamin C, vitamin B6, Thiamin and potassium.
- Dabai fruits originate from a place in Indonesia called Borneo. Dabai fruits are white when they are still un-ripe and turn to purplish pink and black colour when ripened. The Dabai is oblong and resembles the shape of a large olive. They are high in potassium and calcium.
- Quandong has a scientific name ‘Santalum acuminatum’ it grows in the deserts of the Sandalwood family in central and southern Australia. The fruit is red or yellow in colour when ripe. It is green when un-ripe. They have a high water content, and are high in carbohydrates and sugar.
- The Dersert lime is one of several citrus fruits native to Australia. The plant can withstand extreme temperature variation, from -12°C to 45°C. Desert limes are high in vitamin C, antioxidants, and other nutrients. The desert lime is scientifically known as Citrus glauca belonging to the Rutaceae family.
Most more posts in our Fruit that starts with series:
Fruit that starts with B
Fruit that starts with C
Fruit that starts with D
Fruit that starts with G
Fruit that starts with H
Fruit that starts with J
Fruit that starts with K
Fruit that starts with L
Fruit that starts with M
Fruit that starts with O
Fruit that starts with P
Fruit that starts with Q
Fruit that starts with R
Fruit that starts with S
Fruit that starts with T
Fruit that starts with U
Fruit that starts with V
Fruit that starts with W
Fruit that starts with X
Fruit that starts with Y
Fruit that starts with Z